httpd-dev mailing list archives

From r..@covalent.net
Subject Using DOC++ for Apache docs.
Date Thu, 20 Jul 2000 23:21:14 GMT

Because a few weeks ago, everybody seemed to agree that the pod was ugly,
I have begun to investigate other options for in-code documentation.

My first stop today was DOC++.  I really dislike this.

    DOC++ was written for C++ and Java, and this shows.  It expects a
class hierarchy.  In every HTML page that is displayed, DOC++ puts a link
for a "Heirarchy of classes", which in Apache will never be linked to
anything, because we have no classes.

    I have been unable to insert formatting in the HTML output.  I have
tried, and I will continue to try, but the HTML output refuses to pay
attention to my formatting tags.

    Our options are limited for what we output.  Pod has a lot of
different filters to generate different output formats.  DOC++ can
generate HTML and Tex.  This may be enough, I don't know.

I will continue to research more options for putting docs in our code.  If
you have a favorite method of doing this, please let me know.  As I
investigate an option, I will be compiling a web page that describes them
all, and then we can have an informed discussion of this.

Expect the web page sometime next week.

Ryan

406 29th St.
San Francisco, CA 94131