httpd-dev mailing list archives

From r..@covalent.net
Subject Re: logging APR errors
Date Fri, 14 Jul 2000 21:58:34 GMT

This is the exact same design we are using for the failure function for
memory.  It requires an 'if' in that code, and it will require and 'if' in
this code.  This is the wrong approach.  It was the wrong approach for the
pools, but since we were just trying for backwards compatability with
Apache 1.3 pools, I was willing to accept it.  I am against it when there
is a perfectly valid design that requires just a bit more code changes,
but works better.

Ryan

On Fri, 14 Jul 2000, Paul J. Reder wrote:

> rbb@covalent.net wrote:
> >                          ...              Having every APR program
> > be able to register an error logging function adds yet another if
> > condition to EVERY single APR function.  Many of those functions have
> > multiple error paths.  This means that we get multiple if's for every APR
> > function.  People are already complaining that APR isn't performance
> > aware, and now we want to slow it down more.
>
> Why does it add if logic to anything. My understanding of this idea is that
> the error handler is initially set to a default APR handler. An api allows
> the user of APR to register an application specific error handler instead.
> If this api is called then the error handler is set to it (replacing the
> previous pointer to the default handler).
>
> When an error occurs, the handler is called - period. No if logic required.
> The error handler always points to a single unambiguous error handling function.
>
> Am I missing something? Did I misunderstand Jeff's design?
>
> --
> Paul J. Reder
> "The strength of the Constitution lies entirely in the determination of each
> citizen to defend it.  Only if every single citizen feels duty bound to do
> his share in this defense are the constitutional rights secure."
> -- Albert Einstein

406 29th St.
San Francisco, CA 94131