httpd-dev mailing list archives

From r..@covalent.net
Subject Re: logging APR errors
Date Fri, 14 Jul 2000 18:35:54 GMT
On Fri, 14 Jul 2000, Greg Ames wrote:

> I got the following while trying to get mod_file_cache working on Linux:
>
> [Tue Jul 04 17:13:59 2000] [error] [client 127.0.0.1] (22)Invalid
> argument: mod_file_cache: iol_sendfile failed.
>
> Can you tell what failed without running a debugger?
>
> This doesn't even point me to the failing file.  But that part is easy -
> you know it's Linux, so iol_sendfile always invokes ap_sendfile.  If you
> go there, you will see 7 syscalls or APR calls for the current Linux
> flavor.  So which one failed?
>
> Unfortunately, most of these 7 are network related which means they
> could fail in production.  There's gotta be a better way.  I have some
> thoughts but would like to hear other opinions first.

The correct way to handle this was veto'ed at the very beginning of
development for APR.  The correct method was to have the status be a
complex bitmap which we could use to determine where we actually failed.

Since we no longer have that option, we have to define different APR error
codes for the different failure conditions inside of ap_sendfile.

Ryan

406 29th St.
San Francisco, CA 94131