httpd-dev mailing list archives

From r..@covalent.net
Subject Re: filtering patches
Date Wed, 12 Jul 2000 14:14:09 GMT
On Tue, 11 Jul 2000, Greg Stein wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 11, 2000 at 08:24:40AM -0400, Rodent of Unusual Size wrote:
> > Except that the black-box filter use of that will cause it to
> > grow and grow until the request is completed.  If a bucket
> > has its own pool, the pool is destroyed and the memory made
> > available for re-allocation as soon as the bucket is dumped
> > to the wire.  For pathological cases like mod_gzip, in which
> > all the buckets hang around until the filtering is done, the
>
> Isn't gzip a streaming protocol? I really believe it is:
>
> $ cat foo | gzip -c > foo.gz
> $ zcat foo.gz | diff - foo
> $
>
> In other words, a gzip filter would not have to set aside the entire
> request. As the data arrives, it compresses it and sends the (partial)
> result down the wire.

Content-length.

I can be streaming, but it will most likely be a caching
filter.  Regardless, it is an easy example that people can understand and
talk about intelligently.  If the exact example is a bit off, just having
a name for modules like this is useful.

Ryan

406 29th St.
San Francisco, CA 94131