httpd-dev mailing list archives

From r..@covalent.net
Subject Re: Remove prefork MPM.
Date Tue, 11 Jul 2000 15:55:13 GMT
On Tue, 11 Jul 2000, Greg Ames wrote:

> Combining Dexter and mpmt_pthread is a great idea.  But I think removing
> prefork is premature.
>
> rbb@covalent.net wrote:
> >
> > I have tested the new mpmt MPM, and it emulates the prefork MPM pretty
> > much perfectly as near as I can tell.  It needs optimizing, and the
>
> Huh? If it emulates prefork perfectly, why would it need optimizing?

Because it needs to remove the pthread calls, and everything else you are
complaining about below.  Yes, it emulates prefork.  It preforks the
required number of servers, and spawns new ones when they are busy.  It
needs a new #define and a couple of new #ifdefs.  If nobody else beats me
to it, I'll get to it sooner or later.  Having the same function in the
server three times is idiotic, and prefork needs to go away.

Ryan

> > #defines need to be done a bit better, but it works just fine AFAICT.  I
> > would like to remove the prefork MPM Tuesday.  Does anybody have a problem
> > with that?
> >

> A quick look at the code shows me that there's no code path that avoids
> the pthread mutexes or ap_poll.  This is going to cause increased path
> length and worse scalability on platforms like Linux, and probably
> FreeBSD, that have relatively light weight processes.  I suspect the
> majority of the current Apache users would see a drop in performance if
> they upgraded to 2.0 with mpmt.
>
> When mpmt performs like prefork on Linux and FreeBSD, then I'm all for
> it.
>
> Greg

406 29th St.
San Francisco, CA 94131