httpd-dev mailing list archives

From r..@covalent.net
Subject Re: filtering patches
Date Tue, 11 Jul 2000 14:24:14 GMT

Since all of the issues listed below have been addressed in e-mail, and
they are all functions of the patch, and not of the design, can we get the
veto removed?

Each of these issues can and will be dealt with in future patches.  I am
trying to keep the current patch small and clean to make it easy to
review.

I could post a second patch later today that allows all content generators
to work with the current patch if that would help to remove the veto.

Ryan

On Mon, 10 Jul 2000, Greg Stein wrote:
> I've just checked in an update to STATUS noting a veto on the two patches
> that Ryan has posted. I'm not going to go through a serious, in-depth review
> of the patches here; instead, I'll just hit on the high points:
>
> *) all content generators (Apache's and third party's) must be rewritten to
>    take advantage of this filtering mechanism
>
> *) these patches do not use BUFF, but attempt to go straight to the network.
>    this loses the buffering, the chunking transfer coding, and the character
>    set translation which BUFF provides.
>
> *) the use of "rwmem" is unclear; it appears to have a fixed size buffer and
>    requires that all generated content be copied into a holding buffer. if a
>    content-generator creates 100Mb of content, can it do this piecemeal
>    (create/destroy bucket brigades for pieces of the content) or will it get
>    spooled to disk (per a comment in ap_rwmem_write)
>
> *) minor issues:
>    - the use of malloc() is scary; I do not understand why a pool is not
>      used (scoped to the request, the connection, or a cache)
>    - bugs, such as "newbuf = malloc(sizeof(newbuf))". the server doesn't
>      even operate if these patches are applied (not withstanding the BUFF
>      avoidance mentioned above)
>    - much more complex API (at least a couple dozen new functions)

406 29th St.
San Francisco, CA 94131