httpd-dev mailing list archives

From r..@covalent.net
Subject Re: filtering patches
Date Tue, 11 Jul 2000 14:21:06 GMT

As I said in a response to Greg at some point yesterday, the current patch
requires that modules be re-written.  This is not a feature of the design,
it is a feature of the patch.

If we want current content generators to be able to use filtering, we just
have to re-write ap_r* to create a bucket and call ap_pass_bucket.  My
original plan had been to modify ap_r* to take a bucket_brigade as an
argument.  This would allow a module that wanted to create all of the data
and pass it down the stack at once to do so.

Think about mod_autoindex.  Currently, it makes numerous little calls to
ap_rputs.  This is quite honestly a stupid design with buckets.  My plan
had been to allow mod_autoindex to create a bucket_brigade with the whole
page in it and pass it down the filter stack.

If people don't like this idea, I'll re-write ap_r* to keep the same
signature and just pass data down the stack as soon as it gets it.

This will come in a second patch though, because I am trying to keep the
current patch small.

Ryan

On Tue, 11 Jul 2000, Rodent of Unusual Size wrote:
> Greg Stein wrote:
> >
> > Hmm... I guess this also associated with the "modules must be
> > rewritten to use output filtering" issue. Either we mandate that
> > all content generators are rewritten so that we can drop BUFF
> > (in favor of the filters),
>
> -1
>
> > or we include both BUFF and the new BUFF-replacement filters in
> > the final code (eek!)
>
> -1
>
> > [ or provide a way for today's modules to use output filtering.
>
> +1
> --
> #ken    P-)}
>
> Ken Coar                    <http://Golux.Com/coar/>