httpd-dev mailing list archives

From r..@covalent.net
Subject Re: filtering patches
Date Mon, 10 Jul 2000 22:56:15 GMT
On Mon, 10 Jul 2000, Greg Stein wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 10, 2000 at 04:30:19PM +0100, Tony Finch wrote:
> > Greg Stein <gstein@lyra.org> wrote:
> > >*) these patches do not use BUFF, but attempt to go straight to the network.
> > >   this loses the buffering, the chunking transfer coding, and the character
> > >   set translation which BUFF provides.
> >
> > I think that is the whole point, since all that functionality should be
> > re-implemented as filters in order to get rid of the horror that is BUFF.
>
> Agreed, but I'd rather not see it broken (then rely on future changes to
> make it work again). It would be great to continue to use BUFF for now, then
> a future pass can start to transition the functionality from BUFF up to the
> filtering layer(s).

If your module doesn't use the filtering stuff, we still use BUFF.  If the
first two modules written do character set translation and chunked
encoding, then we are done.  Since the only module that currently uses the
filtering is the core, I don't think this is an issue.  If you would like,
I will hack together two modules that use the filtering to make these work
as a part of this patch.

You are asking for a complete patch though.  This is a design and a
beginning to the implementation.  Yes, I could go off on my own and write
this code and just drop it on the list one day.  If this is what you want,
let me know.  I'll go away for a few weeks.

Ryan

406 29th St.
San Francisco, CA 94131