httpd-dev mailing list archives

From r..@covalent.net
Subject Re: filtering patches
Date Mon, 10 Jul 2000 22:33:25 GMT

> I need to look at Ryan's latest patch to understand why he thinks it is
> less efficient than hooks -- my guess is that we just aren't thinking
> of the same thing when I say stack.  I think I understand now why we need
> to register filters by name, and why they should be organized by type,
> but there is still no reason to use ap_hooks.

I don't think the stack is less efficient than hooks.  It just makes less
sense to me.  If we use a stack (as I think of it), then each filter has
to re-add itself to the stack after it is done executing.  Since I think
most filters will end up being called multiple times, it makes more sense
to me to remove the filters that we are done with, then to add back the
ones we aren't done with.  Does that make sense?  I would really
appreciate it if you could look at my latest patch, and make sure we are
thinking of the same thing when we talk about a filter stack.

Regardless, of the methods implemented so far, I like the hooks best, the
linked list next, and the stack the least.  If I have totally screwed up
the filter stack idea, then PLEASE let me know.  If you can explain
exactly what you are thinking about, I'll re-implement.  I am learning a
lot by doing this latest filter patch, and everything you have said so far
really makes sense to me now.  Thanks.

> [Ryan - they are macros.
> You don't "save" any code by reusing macros, particularly ones that
> are implemented for config-time auto-arrangement rather than request-time
> explicit arrangement.]

Actually, the filter hooks I have been using aren't the macros that we are
using for other filters.  I was hoping to merge them back together at some
point, but currently the filter hooks are not macros.  This is one of the
reasons that the code is so easy to replace if we decide to use a
different registration method.

Ryan
406 29th St.
San Francisco, CA 94131