httpd-dev mailing list archives

From r..@covalent.net
Subject Unix MPMs...
Date Fri, 07 Jul 2000 17:09:30 GMT

I spent all day yesterday combining the Unix MPMS.  I would like to commit
my new MPM, called mpmt.  With my current changes, this one MPM can
emulate dexter, mpmt_pthread, and prefork.  With a SMALL bit of work, it
can probably also be used for the os/2 and beos MPMs.

There are currently 40 places in the entire directory where I check for
which MPM is currently being used.  Many of those can go away once we
finish the scoreboard abstraction, and if we invest some time in scrubbing
the code.  There are two or three functions that are just re-implemented
wholesale for each MPM.

I would really like to commit this new MPM, called mpmt.  Any objections?
There will be bugs with the new MPM, but it merges a lot of common code,
and give us less room to miss bug fixes in the future.  Plus, it doesn't
hurt that it reduces the size of the tree a bit.

My current thought is to commit the new MPM, along with the new config
stuff.  The new config stuff keeps the old MPMs from being
compiled.  Then, after a day or two we can remove the old MPMs.

Ryan

406 29th St.
San Francisco, CA 94131