httpd-dev mailing list archives

From r..@covalent.net
Subject Re: cvs commit: apache-2.0/src/modules/dav/main config.m4
Date Sat, 01 Jul 2000 21:29:47 GMT

> > AC_TRY_RUN allows you to provide a default for this case.  Just provide
> > something intelligent, and the warning should go away.  :-)
>
> The issue is that the AC_TRY_RUN is *inside* the AC_C_BIGENDIAN macro. We
> can't insert a test for the third case.
>
> AC_C_BIGENDIAN omits the param on purpose since you can't determine the
> target byte order if cross-compiling is occurring. (since AC_TRY_RUN
> actually *executes* the code, which is impossible in a cross-compile setup).
> By omitting the param on purpose, it ensures that a warning will appear for
> the ./configure author to make sure they have covered the situation.
>
> In our case, we check the "cross_compiling" variable before calling into the
> AC_C_BIGENDIAN (meaning: the person *running* configure will not have any
> problems).

I understand the issues.  This is solvable however.  Because we don't even
CALL the macro if we are cross compiling, just provide a relatively sane
default to TRY_RUN.  This is harmless, because this code will never be
touched, but it will remove a warning that can potentially bother some
people.

IMNSHO, removing a warning that is meaningless by adding a USELESS
parameter that is never used is a win in this situation.

Imagine the scenario where you download the code, and try to compile
it.  The first thing you see is a warning message.  Personally, this would
scare me off a bit.  We try very hard to avoid warnings in the code, we
should do the same in our configuration.

Ryan

406 29th St.
San Francisco, CA 94131