httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Tony Finch <...@dotat.at>
Subject Re: logging APR errors
Date Tue, 18 Jul 2000 22:01:25 GMT
"William A. Rowe, Jr." <wrowe@lnd.com> wrote:

>  1) A module calls ap_stat to find if a file exists.  It won't care that
>     there is no file.  It pushes NULL.  (Now, what do we do with the error
>     if it -wasn't- ENOFILE???  This really requires more thought)

This is why this whole idea is bogus. There's nothing wrong with the current
ap_status_t error handling, and the additional stuff you want to log is not
useful information. Only APR developers would care about it: application
developers are more interested in where in the application code is the APR
call that failed; users just want to know which file couldn't be opened
or which computer couldn't be reached over the internet.

It seems to be you are adding complexity and timewasting instead of some
#ifdef DEBUG printfs.

Tony.
--
f.a.n.finch    fanf@covalent.net    dot@dotat.at