httpd-dev mailing list archives

From TOKI...@aol.com
Subject Re: filter insertion (was: BIG filtering patch.)
Date Sat, 08 Jul 2000 19:02:48 GMT

In a message dated 00-07-08 17:32:32 EDT, -g writes...

> Ta-da! MIME filtering.

Cool.

>  It would also be possible to set up similar value ->
>  filter-name mappings on other elements, such as Content-Encoding or
>  Content-Language. Each of these are straight-forward extensions once you
>  have named filters (such as my patch provides).

Extra cool.

This is the ONE thing that has been sorely lacking on
the client side and with IIS... the ability to use the
well-established and well-documented MIME filtering
and/or 'plug-in' interfacting but have it work consistently
for predictable values in fields OTHER than just
just 'Content-type:'. It's not even being planned for
the client side ( too bad ).

What would be WAY WAY cool and EXTREMELY
useful ( especially for turning Apache into a wireless
gateway ) will be the ability to register a filter based
on the 'User-Agent:' field. Being able to stream all
content through a filter specifically designed for
certain 'User-Agents' basically puts WML out to
pasture where it belongs.

Yours...
Kevin Kiley
CTO, Remote Communications, Inc.