httpd-dev mailing list archives

From TOKI...@aol.com
Subject Re: BIG filtering patch.
Date Sat, 08 Jul 2000 12:45:34 GMT

> MY current thought is that admins will want to specify some filters, but
>  some they will just want to work, automagically.  I can't see an Admin
>  wanting EVERY CGI script to have it's output treated as an SSI.  I also
>  can't see them wanting to specify which CGI's output SSI tags in the
>  config file.  By setting the Content-Type correctly, the core can just
>  figure this stuff out.  This means that an admin can just add a new cgi,
>  and be done.
>
>  Ryan

There you go! Now things are starting to swing.
This is called a MIME FILTER.

Streams are 'auto-magically' filtered based on their
MIME type.

The whole client-side plug-in and browser helper
object scenarios have proved it should never be the
the ONLY way to filter content streams but it will be one
of the most important ways since IIS and MSIE have
been able to do this for 2 years now.

This feature also pulls the filtering into the 'recognizable'
realm for anyone whose view of content output and
filtering is still based on the browser 'plug-in' concept
which is always MIME type based.

Yours
Kevin Kiley
CTO, Remote Communications, Inc.