httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Paul J. Reder" <rede...@raleigh.ibm.com>
Subject Re: logging APR errors
Date Fri, 14 Jul 2000 21:46:56 GMT
rbb@covalent.net wrote:
>                          ...              Having every APR program
> be able to register an error logging function adds yet another if
> condition to EVERY single APR function.  Many of those functions have
> multiple error paths.  This means that we get multiple if's for every APR
> function.  People are already complaining that APR isn't performance
> aware, and now we want to slow it down more.

Why does it add if logic to anything. My understanding of this idea is that
the error handler is initially set to a default APR handler. An api allows
the user of APR to register an application specific error handler instead.
If this api is called then the error handler is set to it (replacing the
previous pointer to the default handler).

When an error occurs, the handler is called - period. No if logic required.
The error handler always points to a single unambiguous error handling function.

Am I missing something? Did I misunderstand Jeff's design?

--
Paul J. Reder
-- Albert Einstein