httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Ames <grega...@raleigh.ibm.com>
Subject Re: Remove prefork MPM.
Date Tue, 11 Jul 2000 15:41:26 GMT
Combining Dexter and mpmt_pthread is a great idea.  But I think removing
prefork is premature.

rbb@covalent.net wrote:

> I have tested the new mpmt MPM, and it emulates the prefork MPM pretty
> much perfectly as near as I can tell.  It needs optimizing, and the

Huh? If it emulates prefork perfectly, why would it need optimizing?

> #defines need to be done a bit better, but it works just fine AFAICT.  I
> would like to remove the prefork MPM Tuesday.  Does anybody have a problem
> with that?

A quick look at the code shows me that there's no code path that avoids
the pthread mutexes or ap_poll.  This is going to cause increased path
length and worse scalability on platforms like Linux, and probably
FreeBSD, that have relatively light weight processes.  I suspect the
majority of the current Apache users would see a drop in performance if
they upgraded to 2.0 with mpmt.

When mpmt performs like prefork on Linux and FreeBSD, then I'm all for
it.

Greg