httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Rodent of Unusual Size <Ken.C...@Golux.Com>
Subject Re: filtering patches
Date Mon, 10 Jul 2000 19:11:34 GMT
rbb@covalent.net wrote:

> No, it can't.  The pool cannot be destroyed before returning from the
> function.  We don't know that the rest of the filters have finished
> with the data yet.

Isn't the outward-bound data supposed to be stored in a bucket?
I think we're talking about apples and oranges; I'm talking about
filter-private memory, and you appear to be talking about the
memory used to transmit the data into and out of the filter.

Why can't each bucket have its own pool?  When the bucket gets
dumped to the wire, the pool gets destroyed.  If there's some
semi-pathological module along the way, like mod_gzip, that
wants to get all of the buckets before passing any along,
well, we'll have a lot of memory consumption anyway.

> > You have in no way convinced me of any portion of your sweeping
> > "pools will not work for filters" statement.
>
> How about now?

Now I think we're talking about the same thing -- but I'm
still not convinced.
--
#ken    P-)}