httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ben Laurie <...@algroup.co.uk>
Subject Re: BIG filtering patch.
Date Sun, 09 Jul 2000 15:58:21 GMT
Greg Stein wrote:
> I'm with Ryan on not understanding how a "stack" would work in the Apache
> execution environment. I much prefer the types of ordering mechanisms that
> are in mine and Ryan's patches. (I disagree with his using ap_hooks to do
> it, but will take it over a stack any day :-)

I'm intrigued to know why? It'd be goods if hooks did everything that
should be expected of them, and from what I'm hearing, I think that
they're a pretty good fit for the problem - perhaps not an exact one,
but that may just mean that they need a little work...

> I'll also point out that my ap_add_filter() adds filters "at the end"
> (meaning "after") of the particular group. In other words, a content filter
> can add a filter and be guaranteed it will be inserted after "self".

Seems to me that this is why hooks work better - a content-filter, for
example, may know that it has to come before or after certain other
filters, if they are being used. Hooks let you do that.

BTW, an unaddressed problem with hooks is that we don't have a name
registry, and they need unique names. We should fix this.

Cheers,

Ben.

--
http://www.apache-ssl.org/ben.html