httpd-dev mailing list archives

From burtonator <bur...@relativity.yi.org>
Subject Re: TUX 1.0/Linux beats Windows????
Date Wed, 05 Jul 2000 18:38:04 GMT
Bill Stoddard wrote:

> > Also.  They mention TUX being integrated into Apache 2.0?  Has this been
> > discussed via private e-mail?  Of course if this were to happen the
> > license would need to change :)
> >
> > Kevin
> >
> I obviously haven't looked at TUX, but having worked on similar technology I'll venture
an
> educated guess here...
>
> Apache would not integrate TUX. TUX is part of Linux and implements its own set of APIs
> control it. Apache would ship a module (or have hooks in the code) to interface with
TUX
> to do things like start/stop it, load the cache either via config directives or
> dynamically, etc. I can easily imagine putting code into Apache enabling the use of TUX
or
> other kernel resident HTTP engines.

I don't know if it is worth it.  I mean if you are doing static content
a kernel HTTP server will easily beat Apache.  If you are doing dynaic
content like Servlet/etc pushing this down into the kernel would
probably be slower than just having Apache push it out by itself.  If
you have Apache push it into the Kernel you get a context-switch and
this will hurt performance.  In this situation you really don't have a
reason to serve content in this manner.

Kevin

--
Kevin A Burton (e-mail: burton@apache.org, UIN: 73488596, ZKey: