httpd-dev mailing list archives

From burtonator <bur...@relativity.yi.org>
Subject TUX 1.0/Linux beats Windows????
Date Wed, 05 Jul 2000 17:54:16 GMT
hmmm.. has anyone seen this?

http://linuxtoday.com/news_story.php3?ltsn=2000-07-05-001-04-OP

Also.  They mention TUX being integrated into Apache 2.0?  Has this been
discussed via private e-mail?  Of course if this were to happen the
license would need to change :)

Kevin

-----------------
more info about TUX 1.0 (Score:1)
by Ingo Molnar (mingo at redhat.com) on Tuesday July 04, @11:45PM PST
(#218)
(User Info) http://www.redhat.com/~mingo
i'm the one who designed/wrote most of TUX, and here are some facts
about it.

'TUX' comes from 'Threaded linUX webserver', and is a kernel-space
HTTP subsystem. TUX was written by Red
Hat and is based on the 2.4 kernel series. TUX is under the GPL and
will be released in a couple of weeks. TUX's
main goal is to enable high-performance webserving on Linux, and while
it's not as feature-full as Apache, TUX is
a 'full fledged' HTTP/1.1 webserver supporting HTTP/1.1 persistent
(keepalive) connections, pipelining, CGI
execution, logging, virtual hosting, various forms of modules, and
many other webserver features. TUX modules
can be user-space or kernel-space.

The SPECweb99 test was done with a user-space module, the source code
can be found
here. We expect TUX to be integrated into Apache 2.0 or 3.0, as TUX's
user-space kernel-space API is capable
of supporting a mixed Apache/TUX webspace.

TUX uses a 'object cache' which is much more than a simple 'static
cache'. TUX objects can be freely embedded
in other web replies, and can be used by modules, including CGIs. You
can 'mix' dynamically generated and static
content freely.

While written by Red Hat, TUX relies on many scalability advances in
the 2.4 kernel done also by kernel hackers
from SuSE, Mandrake and the Linux Community as a whole. TUX is not one
single piece of technology, rather a
final product that 'connects the dots' and proves the scalability of
Linux's high end features. I'd especially like to
highlight the role of extreme TCP/IP networking scalability in 2.4,
which was a many months effort lead by David
Miller and Alexey Kuznetsov. We'd also like to acknowledge the
pioneering role of khttpd - while TUX is
independent of khttpd, it was an important experiment we learned alot
from.

Other 2.4 kernel advances TUX uses are: async networking and disk IO,
wake-one scheduling, interrupt binding,
process affinity (not yet merged patch), per-CPU allocation pools (not
yet merged patch), big file support (the
TUX logfile can get bigger than 5GB during SPECweb99 runs), highmem
support, various VFS enhancements
(thanks Al Viro), the new IO-scheduler done by SuSE folks,
buffer/pagecache scalability and many many other
Linux features.
--
Kevin A Burton (e-mail: burton@apache.org, UIN: 73488596, ZKey:
burtonator)