httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Manoj Kasichainula <>
Subject Re: Whacking shared memory on graceful restarts is bad
Date Mon, 31 Jul 2000 07:00:32 GMT
On Sun, Jul 30, 2000 at 05:32:46PM -0700, wrote:
> I have had a real chance to look into this now.  Basically, prefork kills
> the cleanup if the restart is graceful.  None of the other MPMs did
> that.  This has been fixed.  I have not tested this change, but logically
> it makes sense.  This should leave the cleanup registered for non graceful
> restarts and shutdowns, but for graceful restart we don't actually do the
> cleanup.

This fixes it. Tested with dexter; I'll report later on mpmt_pthread
if there are problems.

This has gotten me thinking that maybe ap_mpm_run should also take
pglobal. The advantage would be that the shared memory cleanup could
then be put into pglobal, where it really belongs. The disadvantage
would be that it would then become easier to save state between
restarts, which should really be discouraged. It seems reasonable to
make an exception for MPMs, though.

View raw message