httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Manoj Kasichainula <ma...@io.com>
Subject Whacking shared memory on graceful restarts is bad
Date Sun, 30 Jul 2000 11:41:27 GMT
Dexter, mpmt_pthread, and probably the other Unix MPMs react in a
SIGSEGV kind of way when sent a graceful restart signal.

In these MPMs, we're actually now freeing shared memory upon cleaning
the pconf pool. This is not a good thing, because during graceful
restarts, threads that are continuing to process requests must still
be able to write to their old shared memory region. This change
appears to have been made when switching to APR for shared memory.

I'm not too familiar with the pre-APR shared memory code; it appears
that in 1.3 we just didn't free the shared memory on restart, except
for USE_POSIX_SCOREBOARD, where we did shm_unlink, whatever that is.

If it wasn't for the POSIX shmem case, my suggested fix would be to
just eliminate that cleanup.