httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Ralf S. Engelschall" <...@engelschall.com>
Subject Re: Why release 2.0 soon? (was Re: More detailed review of Ryan's filtering patch)
Date Tue, 25 Jul 2000 16:13:36 GMT

In article <20000725022639.D1377@manojk.users.mindspring.com> you wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 24, 2000 at 08:21:12AM -0700, rbb@covalent.net wrote:
>> I have a VERY hard time understanding what the issues are here.  I have
>> had pth working with Dexter before, so I know that works.
>
> I don't know if this has changed, but back when Ralf got Dexter
> working on FreeBSD, all he did was kill accept serialization. This
> will expose race conditions in multi-IPaddr situations. Is there
> something more in there now that I haven't seen committed in the past
> few months?
> [...]

I've not tried 2.0 recently, but the main problem was the mutex code for the
accept serialization. Because it used fcntl or flock (which are not
guarrantied to only block the current thread), which leads to server hangs
under all user-space threading facilities. The Pthread mutexes cannot be used,
because they require Pthread shared memory support in order to work for
Dexter's hybrid process model. And shared memory based Pthread mutexes are
usually not available with user-space threading facilities.

                                       Ralf S. Engelschall
                                       rse@engelschall.com
                                       www.engelschall.com