httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Stein <gst...@lyra.org>
Subject Re: Anywhere to go for a summmary of I/O filtering?
Date Tue, 25 Jul 2000 10:25:56 GMT
On Tue, Jul 25, 2000 at 02:18:35AM -0700, Manoj Kasichainula wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 24, 2000 at 01:16:15PM -0500, William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
> > And are we certain that the virtualhost is sufficient?  I'm picturing, as
> > a commerce administrator, that I have a group of administration scripts
> > in a common share-bin folder that all should run as user isp_common,
> > while their folders can all use their own id's.  The individual web admins
> > have no permissions to the common cgi (they can't hack them), while they
> > still have cgi-bin to play their own games.
>
> I can't think of a reason that the model Ryan proposed can't be
> applied to Location blocks. Directory and File might be harder, but
> Location is plenty.

IMO, we should try to move away from the Directory section. It is filesystem
specific and (slightly) hinders the move to repository independence.

That said: using a vhost as the granularity means that any requests arriving
at a vhost have a single user/group. If you make it per-Loc, then you're
going to need to start passing request handling between processes/threads.
Possible? Dunno. But certainly more difficult, I'd think.

Cheers,
-g

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/