httpd-dev mailing list archives

From a.@atm9.com.dtu.dk
Subject Re: Rolling the Win32 1.3.13 binary build...
Date Sun, 16 Jul 2000 16:32:49 GMT
I have tested also now on Windows98 Release 2 and everything works nice,
including the Apache as a service.

> > Apache Web Server
> >      Documentation
> >            Local
>
> This one has a problem.  We need to request http://127.0.0.1/manual/
> Click on the Frequently Asked Questions tab from this 1.3.13 test
> install page to reassure yourself that we have no choice :)

Ah... Can we preprocess this so no dynamic generation is needed in the
user side?

These scenarios are likely when the user installs Apache for the first time:
First thing he does is try go read local documentation, which he cannot
because:
a) He forgot to start apache
b) Because he is (maybe unknowingly) tunning Microsoft Personal Webserver or
something else in port 80, etc.

He can always go to the official online documentation, but it will be easy
if we pregenerated that documentation for them, so that no error occurs,
(or in case he is running it from a PC magazine CD, etc. and has not net
connection, etc.)

> >            Online
> >      Management
> >            Edit configuration
> >            Restart Apache
> >            Start Apache
> >            Stop Apache
>

> >      Startup
> >            Schedule Apache to run at startup
> >            Unschedule Apache to run at startup
> >
> > (This schedule/unschedule phrasing is the best I could came up with.
> > Suggestions appreciated)
>
> How about this as an option, since schedule not quite the word:
>
> >      Service
> >            Install Apache as a Service
> >            Restart the Apache Service
> >            Start the Apache Service
> >            Stop the Apache Service
> >            Uninstall the Service

Much better, what about the following iteration on your suggestion:

(since we do not need to include apache or service on the entries as they already
come from the path

Apache Web Server -> Run as a Service ->

> >      Run as a Service
> >            Documentation   (pointing to http://127.0.0.1/(...)manual/win_service.html
or file://(..._
> >            Install
> >            Restart
> >            Start
> >            Stop
> >            Uninstall

> I agree we need better options.  But for right -now-, since we would
> like to see this ship, I suggest we wait for 2.0 to do the log file
> viewer bit right, unless someone has a good suggestion.

Ok, so I will leave things as they are and not include notepad.