httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Roy T. Fielding" <field...@kiwi.ICS.UCI.EDU>
Subject Re: filtering patches
Date Wed, 12 Jul 2000 03:21:01 GMT
>Bucket brigades are tied, also. Looking at your current definition, you have
>AP_BUCKET_cached_entity and AP_BUCKET_URI. I'm presuming the latter is a
>subrequest of some kind. I know Roy's version suggested a subrequest would
>be a bucket.

Both of those are completely general to any web application.  Consider
a client XML parser -- it takes a stream of bytes and produces a tree,
within which are many cached entity references and URI references.
Buckets are useful whenever late binding of references to data is useful.
That doesn't mean that every possible application has to use every single
bucket type, but it does mean they aren't specific to httpd.  Figuring
out how to do the subrequest will be a challenge -- maybe we need a way
to register bucket types and conversion functions?

Let's not argue about where it belongs until we know its full scope.

Greg, please commit your files to the same directory.  I don't particularly
care what the file names are or whether or not it compiles -- I just
want to be cut-n-pasting from what both of you really think is your
latest version.  I think that is the best way to merge the best of both.

Also, the patch files that would affect the main tree can be committed
as greg_patch.txt and ryan_patch.txt.

....Roy