httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Stein <>
Subject Re: Remove prefork MPM.
Date Tue, 11 Jul 2000 20:05:39 GMT
On Tue, Jul 11, 2000 at 10:14:58AM -0700, wrote:
> On Tue, 11 Jul 2000, Rodent of Unusual Size wrote:
> > wrote:
> > >
> > > I would like to remove the prefork MPM Tuesday.  Does anybody have
> > > a problem with that?
> >
> > Yep, I do.  We need to keep a true prefork MPM around, not an
> > emulated one that requires threads and thread locking.
> There is no reason to have as much duplicated code as the Unix MPMs
> have.  I can remove most of the duplicated code, but that requires opening
> up a lot of static variables.  The more duplicated code we have, the more
> times we have to fix the same bug.

Rather than jamming them all together, why not simply create more mpm_common
functions? If they need state, then start passing around the data (instead
of global variables). Or a context structure.

> I am in the middle of fixing mpmt so that it doesn't require any of the
> threads stuff.  That is an optimization though, and it can wait for a day
> or two.

I fear that mpmt.c is going to become unmaintainable because of all the
#ifdef code in there.

Sharing code through mpm_common seems like the most appropriate solution.

Greg Stein,

View raw message