httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Life is hard, and then you die" <ron...@innovation.ch>
Subject Re: Encoding code in APR
Date Sun, 09 Jul 2000 06:25:36 GMT
On Sat, Jul 08, 2000 at 09:08:47AM -0700, rbb@covalent.net wrote:

> >   ap_base64, ap_checkpass  -> lib/utils/
>
> ap_base64 should be moved.  ap_checkpass still bothers me.  The function
> it implements is in APR already.

But it's incomplete (it's missing Netscape's SHA-1 based password).
This means apr_validate_password has to move out of apr_md5. Also, the
Netscape password scheme needs base64 (in addition to SHA-1). So, if
apr_checkpass were to go into apr then ap_base64 would have to too.

> I would rather just see that function
> moved into the crypt directory in APR.
>
> >   ap/ap_cache, ap/ap_hooks -> lib/utils/
> >
> > I'm wondering about main/util_* - util_md5.c and util_date.c could be
> > moved to lib/utils/, but the other stuff references things like request_rec
> > and therefore aren't suitable for putting in lib/utils/ unless we make that
> > lib tightly bound to apache (i.e. unusable outside of it).
>
> Take a VERY close look at main/utils_*.  For the most part, the references
> to request_rec's can be replaced with one or two fields from the
> request_rec.  Regardless, I am VERY hesitant to move anything into
> lib/utils right now.  That library will need it's own build system,
> because we don't want to tie it to Apache.  The hooks are tied to APR VERY
> tightly, I haven't looked at ap_cache.

Ok, I'll leave that stuff alone since you have a much better handle on it
than I.

  Cheers,

  Ronald