httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Life is hard, and then you die" <ron...@innovation.ch>
Subject Re: BIG filtering patch.
Date Sat, 08 Jul 2000 19:34:39 GMT
On Sat, Jul 08, 2000 at 09:43:35AM -0400, Rodent of Unusual Size wrote:
> rbb@covalent.net wrote:
> >
> > Okay, so how does this work?  When does a module get to insert
> > it's filter onto the stack?
>
> IMHO, it shouldn't.  Modules should *never* insert filters on
> their own; it should be completely under the control of the
> user.  I'd expect something like:
>
> FilterSet setname1 ssi-parse digestify
> AddFilter .cgi setname1

I completely disagree here, and I'm thinking mainly of mod_auth_digest.
With the above the admin will have to correlate two sets of directives,
those for filtering and those for auth-digest. If you modified AuthDigestQop
you'd have to remember to adjust/set a FilterSet; if you added or removed
authentication anywhere you'd have to remember that; etc. mod_auth_digest
should just be able insert the filter on its own - there's no reason an
admin should ever need to worry about whether mod_auth_digest inserts a
filter or not.

Unfortunately, if we drop the filter types, then it will become more
difficult for mod_auth_digest to determine where to insert the filter.

  Cheers,

  Ronald