httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Stein <>
Subject Re: Encoding code in APR
Date Sat, 08 Jul 2000 02:39:58 GMT
On Fri, Jul 07, 2000 at 07:52:36AM -0700, wrote:
> > *) MD5 and SHA1 are *hash* algorithms. not encodings. base64 is an encoding.
> Read the code please.

Doesn't matter what the code says :-) -- look at the bottom part of
the page under "hash algorithms"

> As I said before ALL of the code refers to
> encoding data.  That sure makes it sound to me like they can be used as
> encoding algorithms.  Whether that was their purpose or not is
> irrelevant.  They can be used to encode data.

They hash data into a fixed-size block. It is an irreversible process. That
is not encoding.

If the code says "encoding", then it should be changed. It is an improper
characterization of the process.

> > May as well toss the SHA1 hash in there. The two files would simply go into
> > apr/lib/.
> No.  I am trying to remove apr/lib, because it is a horrible mess of
> unrelated functions.  I would like for it to be easy to find functions in
> APR, and currently it isn't inside of lib.  Whenever I have to give a
> presentation about APR, I have a section in my talk about "Functions moved
> from Apache 1.3 to APR".  That is horrible.  I am moving things out of lib
> sometime next week, and making new directories for them.

No problem, I agree with you on this. You beat me to moving the pool
functions to apr_pools.h. I was getting pissed off at searching through
apr_pools.h, apr_lib.h, and apr_general.h. (why the latter two?)  I was just
about to do it, then saw your checkin :-)

For the SHA1 and MD5 hashing stuff, I'd suggest putting them under
apr/crypto/ ("cryptographic algorithms"). That leaves the directory open to
other crypto stuff (i.e interfaces to SSL, TLS, or whatever).

Greg Stein,

View raw message