httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Brian Havard" <bri...@kheldar.apana.org.au>
Subject Re: Unix MPMs...
Date Fri, 07 Jul 2000 18:23:38 GMT
On Fri, 7 Jul 2000 10:09:30 -0700 (PDT), rbb@covalent.net wrote:

>I spent all day yesterday combining the Unix MPMS.  I would like to commit
>my new MPM, called mpmt.  With my current changes, this one MPM can
>emulate dexter, mpmt_pthread, and prefork.  With a SMALL bit of work, it
>can probably also be used for the os/2 and beos MPMs.

I've had a browse through the code & I'm afraid it will take a fair bit of
work to make it run on OS/2.

- It's full of pthread calls.
- I don't think the 'pipe of death' concept is going to work as a file/pipe
handle can't be select()ed on.
- It fork()s (although it works on OS/2 it's extremely inefficient because
it's emulated).

Trying to unify the different variations of unix MPMs may be of benefit. I
don't think trying to jam in the OS/2 or Win32 MPMs is a good idea, they're
just too different (not too sure about BeOS). Pulling out as much common
code as possible into mpm_common would be more useful.

BTW, there's some really screwy formatting in your commit. It looks like
some lines have been joined accidentally. EG mpmt.c:769