httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Wilfredo Sánchez <wsanc...@apple.com>
Subject Re: --enable-dav
Date Thu, 06 Jul 2000 02:56:31 GMT
| >   If we are building Apache with DSO support, I think we should build
| > everything by default, but only enable the 'standard' stuff.  This
business
| > of tying what we build to what we enable is lame.  Build it all, so if the
| > user wants to use it, all they have to do is turn it on.  They shouldn't
| > have to download the source and build the parts they were missing.
|
| As long as we are on this topic, has anybody looked at the size of 2.0
| tree recently?  I am looking at a tree I just checked out of CVS.  The
| tree is 12M.  Compare that to the 1.3 tree which is 8.7M.  Notice, that's
| without doing any compiles at all and ignoring the CVS directories!  I'm
| not saying we need to stop putting stuff in the tree, just thought this
| was interesting to look at.  I'm currently trying to clean some stuff, and
| merge some code together so that this gets a bit smaller, but I have no
| idea how successful I'll be.  :-)

  I should clarify that by "everything" I don't mean experimental stuff
and demo modules, but we should build all of the supported modules by
default and disable those (eg. mod_dav) which are not used by the vast
majority of our clients.  I do this on Mac OS X with a big nasty makefile
hack which does --enable-module=most and then sed's its way through the
installed config file to disable stuff.  (Should be doable with apxs, but
that wasn't the case in 1.3 because the naming convensions for 1.3 modules
is inconsistent and apxs can't enable/disable all of them.)

  For a static apache, I think the base set should be a bit more
inclusive, but I personally am only concerned with the DSO case.

	-Fred

Wilfredo Sánchez, wsanchez@apple.com
Open Source Engineering Lead
Apple Computer, Inc., Core Operating System Group
1 Infinite Loop, Cupertino, CA 94086, 408.974-5174