httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Stein <gst...@lyra.org>
Subject Re: util_dav.c
Date Tue, 04 Jul 2000 09:14:10 GMT
On Tue, Jul 04, 2000 at 01:47:52AM -0700, Life is hard, and then you die wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 03, 2000 at 08:50:39AM -0700, rbb@covalent.net wrote:
> > The idea of adding something that *might* be useful later is
> > getting to be a common theme.  Main is the wrong spot for things like
> > this.  A bunch of functions that are useful for a couple of modules
> > belongs someplace else.  Main should be used for functions needed for the
> > base server.  Maybe we need a modules/util.  This would be a place for
> > modules to store functions that multiple modules can use.
> >
> > I REALLY would like to clean out main to make it easy for new people to
> > contribute.
>
> I wholehartedly agree. IMHO main should only contain the core server stuff -
> all the utils in there, the stuff that used-to-be/is in ap, etc, should
> go into its own directory. This could modules/util, lib/util, or even ap
> (I guess I missed the reason/discussion why ap was supposed to go away).

ap/ dropped down to something like four files, three of which were also
threatened to go into APR (hooks, sha1, base64). With the thing dwindling
like that, people figured "screw it. toss the directly rather than keep it
for one or two files."

If we bang things back around and start shoving stuff over there, we can
resuscitate the thing.

I'm not much for modules/util (since we probably won't dyn-load this stuff).
lib/util would make good sense, though.

What could go in there? Bunch of stuff. The ap/ contents, util_*, probably a
few other things.

Want another possibility? Move the *HTTP* stuff out of main. Create a
mod_http that holds most of that stuff. I mean we have a mod_echo, and can
theoretically handle other protocols via modules... why not turn HTTP in a
true module? Regardless of where the utility stuff goes, I think this would
be a good thing to do.

Yah, I don't think mod_http.c would be rational. It would probably need a
full modules/http/, but still... http_core could become a *real* module
rather than a psuedo thing.

Last comment: we should be very careful about making parts of the utils
directory optional. Too far in that direction could mean people can't rely
on certain features to always be present in Apache. "what? the SHA1 stuff
wasn't compiled in? damn!" :-)

Cheers,
-g

--