httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <...@jaguNET.com>
Subject Re: Filters and last patch.
Date Sat, 01 Jul 2000 15:31:15 GMT
rbb@covalent.net wrote:

> On Sat, 1 Jul 2000, Jim Jagielski wrote:
>
> > Dirk-Willem van Gulik wrote:
> > >
> > > Right now the myrad of side effects of the simple buffer approahc are
> > > trouble some to me and do get us into the same issues we have been
> > > struggling with for years with the 1.3 strand.
> > >

> > If it were possible to ``rip out'' the char* approach of Greg's
> > implementation and ``keep'' his bucket approach, would that
> > address people's concerns?
>
> It would come VERY close I _think_.  But the only thing that has been
> really implemented are the char *'s, so it also removes all
> filtering.  :-)

OK, so the main points we wish to address are (in no particular order):

   1. zero-copy
   2. prevent modules/filters from having to glob the entire
      data stream in order to start processing/filtering
   3. the ability to layer and "multiplex" data and meta-data
      in the stream
   4. the ability to perform all HTTP processing at the
      filter level (including proxy), even if not implemented in
      this phase
   5. Room for optimization and recursion

Ryan, didn't you say that you had like a 50 line "framework" of
some code that addressed some of the above? Could you post it?

                "Are you suggesting coconuts migrate??"