httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Stein <gst...@lyra.org>
Subject Re: cvs commit: apache-2.0/src/modules/dav/main config.m4
Date Sat, 01 Jul 2000 14:23:44 GMT
On Sat, Jul 01, 2000 at 02:08:25PM -0000, gstein@locus.apache.org wrote:
>   *) do endian testing, so we can feed it into Expat to optimize that code
>   +dnl check for endianness
>   +if test "$cross_compiling" = "no"; then
>   +  AC_C_BIGENDIAN
>   +else
>   +  AC_DEFINE(AP_UNKNOWN_BYTE_ORDER,1,
>   +		[byte order is unknown due to cross-compilation])
>   +fi

With the introduction of AC_C_BIGENDIAN, ./buildconf will now issue warnings
about a missing cross-compile parameter to AC_TRY_RUN(). This warning can be
safely ignored.

Basically, it is there to let you know that AC_C_BIGENDIAN isn't going to
work in the cross-compile case. Of course, it doesn't know that we are going
to check for that (see above) before calling AC_C_BIGENDIAN which calls
AC_TRY_RUN.

We could clone AC_C_BIGENDIAN and write a custom version of this stuff, but
that feels a bit bogus (we'd lose future changes/fixes to the macro). The
right approach might be to print something in buildconf saying "this warning
is safe to ignore".

Cheers,
-g

--