httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Bill Stoddard" <stodd...@raleigh.ibm.com>
Subject Re: Anywhere to go for a summmary of I/O filtering?
Date Mon, 24 Jul 2000 18:04:34 GMT

> > per process User/Group assignment
>
> Does anyone have the description here?  And do unix threads allow
> thread-based user/group impersonation?

My understanding...
If I am hosting multiple virtual hosts and each wants to run PHP scripts, all the scripts
run under the same user/group id. It would be nice to be able to enable the scripts to run
under their own unique id and still run in-process (i.e., we do not want to suffer the
overhead of forking a suexec'ed CGI process).

Thread impersonation sounds interesting.... OS/390 supports thread impersonation I am told
(it is called something else though). I don't think this is a standard Unix thing though.

Bill