httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@lnd.com>
Subject RE: cvs commit: httpd-docs-1.3/htdocs index.html.tw
Date Thu, 27 Jul 2000 22:22:38 GMT
> From: Rodent of Unusual Size [mailto:Ken.Coar@Golux.Com]
> Sent: Thursday, July 27, 2000 1:46 PM
>
> Dirk-Willem van Gulik wrote:
> >
> > IMHO we will have to move towards
> >
> >         AddCharSet Foo          .foo
> >         AddLanguage Bar         .bar
>
> Yes, indeed.

Agreed, inevitable.  Still would like to see AddCharSet Foo 55 .foo
where 55 is the iana charset id :)

> > and name files
> >
> >         index.foo.bar.html
> >
> > So
> >         index.latin1.fr.html            french          iso/latin1
> >         index.big5.tw.html              taiwanese       big5
>
> Oh no, please no.  People are used to tacking on the content type,
> which this would break egregiously.  Do you have a problem with
>
> 	 index.html.fr.latin1
> 	 index.html.tw.big5
>
> ?  That also lists them in essentially descending order of
> significance: content X may have multiple content-types;
> representation of X in text/html may be presented in multiple
> languages; each language may have representations in multiple
> charsets..

There seems to be only one solution to this one... parse all the
extensions, e.g. .html .fr .latin1 in whatever order, recognize
and catagorize them all (content=.html lang=.fr charset=.latin1)
and then push all available through the negotiation.  Priority
would be pushed as content, lang, and finally charset.

If we did this well, index.latin1.fr.html == index.html.fr.latin1

And if we went one step further and moved this into the apr, we
could actually leverage the charset identifiers in some native
file systems (such as AS400.)  Although that's an odd question,
does the AS400 allow multiple charsets of the same filename?  I
presume it does not.

Bill