httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <>
Subject RE: Does Borland compiler work on Apache?
Date Thu, 13 Jul 2000 20:09:43 GMT

I've bookmarked it - I don't have the stomach to read it today...

In skimming it, it's clear the Kylix product will be a $$$ development
platform for Delphi development.  Nice.

I'll be researching next week after I lick a few minor 2.0 cgi issues.

> 2. Borland would show a little backbone and actually release the
> VCTOPDB.EXE MSVC workspace converter utility with the 'free'
> release of BC 5.5... which all the documentation says is supposed
> to be in the package but was pulled at the last minute by Borland
> lawyers who were nervous that Microsoft would sue their asses off.
> (OR) at the very least...
> Borland would give Apache a 'free' license to re-distribute
> VCTOPDB.EXE with the Apache source code.

Or, at the very most, they would open-source vctopdb :)
> That would truly be the 'Simplify Apache development with Borland'
> that the well-worked press release seems to be talking about and
> William Rowe and I can stop beating our brains out trying to
> write Apache makefile converters in Perl and 'C'.

You are assuming they are 'supporting' the Apache project, or otherwise
interested in promoting their free C compiler.

In my fast glance at the article, those don't look like motives :)

> Does anyone have any inside influence at Borland to make this
> suggestion in an 'official' manner?

Regardless, I'll be making some calls next week.

View raw message