httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <>
Subject RE: Anywhere to go for a summmary of I/O filtering?
Date Mon, 24 Jul 2000 17:17:09 GMT
> From: Bill Stoddard []
> Sent: Monday, July 24, 2000 11:03 AM
> Apache 3.0 requirements....

I'm thinking these are each 2.x generation issues...

> filtering

This could happen in 2.0, but I think we are still missing some things.
Has anyone detailed/documented the 'user' side (httpd.conf) of using
filters yet?  I'm curious, since I don't want the entire server to pipe
through the same superset of filters, and would expect we want to 'focus'
filtering to specific classes (e.g. file extention) or for specific
paths (e.g. /webdocs/

> async i/o

Absolutely, this is a fundemental redesign.  While it won't be hard,
we don't have all of APR or filtering down yet.  Althought I wonder
if filtering wouldn't make more sense to implement <within> the async
model, since we will probably have to scrap and reimplement good parts
of it in the transition from sync to async processing.

> per process User/Group assignment

Does anyone have the description here?  And do unix threads allow
thread-based user/group impersonation?  It seems like we may have
another MPM split here, win32 does thread/user impersonation, and
other platforms may require proc/user impersonation.

> integrated mod_ssl (perhaps even in 2.0 if the legal climate
> is agreeable)

There should be no reason, provided rollout is no earlier than Oct,
that this won't happen.  I believe the patent expires in Aug-Sept.
The only critical aspect is export restrictions, and I don't know
how the Apache group wants to address this.  mod_ssl is an imported
module that we can't reexport, so the question may fall on out-of-US
developers that want to host/support the product and build distribs.
I suppose we can then use to distribute to the US
only, and point out the host site for out of US interests (provided
we are only 'borrowing' a foreign distribution... even linking could
get us in trouble, I suppose.)

> async i/o and filtering will have a significant anount of design
> interdependence, so doing one without the other is not wise, IMHO.

Wouldn't Async be the more logical starting point, minimally in terms
of the specs, so we can build filters to suite sync, async or both?

View raw message