httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@lnd.com>
Subject RE: Rolling the Win32 1.3.13 binary build...
Date Mon, 17 Jul 2000 02:58:33 GMT

My argument -against- this is the fact that this is the first
test the server works.  If we like, we can call the links

  "From this server (when running)"
  "From the web (if server won't start)"

Wordy, but that's the concept.

> These scenarios are likely when the user installs Apache for the first time:
> First thing he does is try go read local documentation, which he cannot
> because:
> a) He forgot to start apache
> b) Because he is (maybe unknowingly) tunning Microsoft Personal Webserver or
> something else in port 80, etc.
>
> He can always go to the official online documentation, but it will be easy
> if we pregenerated that documentation for them, so that no error occurs,
> (or in case he is running it from a PC magazine CD, etc. and has not net
> connection, etc.)

My other argument is that this is not how it's done on Unix, and we don't
want to keep 'switching tracks' when reviewing the bugs database.  The
Unix folks have the same issue.

> > >      Startup
> > >            Schedule Apache to run at startup
> > >            Unschedule Apache to run at startup
> > >
> > > (This schedule/unschedule phrasing is the best I could came up with.
> > > Suggestions appreciated)
> >
> > How about this as an option, since schedule not quite the word:
> >
> >      Service
> >            Install Apache as a Service
> >            Restart the Apache Service
> >            Start the Apache Service
> >            Stop the Apache Service
> >            Uninstall the Service
>

> Much better, what about the following iteration on your suggestion:
>
> (since we do not need to include apache or service on the
> entries as they already
> come from the path
>
> Apache Web Server -> Run as a Service ->
>
>      Run as a Service
>            Documentation   (pointing to
> http://127.0.0.1/(...)manual/win_service.html or file://(..._
>            Install
>            Restart
>            Start
>            Stop
>            Uninstall

Docs seem redundant (to me), but I love the rest of the list (except,
again, Uninstall is way to vauge.  (And sometimes it's not clear which
shortcut group from the start menu you picked.)  Can we attach the
word "Service" to each of your entries, and call the shortcut group
"Apache as a Service" ?

> > I agree we need better options.  But for right -now-, since we would
> > like to see this ship, I suggest we wait for 2.0 to do the log file
> > viewer bit right, unless someone has a good suggestion.
>
> Ok, so I will leave things as they are and not include notepad.

Actually not what I ment :)  I dunno, why don't we use notepad for 1.3.13
and do it right for 2.0 (If we can define 'right')

Any which way this is looking better and better.  Thanks for the efforts!!!

Bill