httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@lnd.com>
Subject RE: Rolling the Win32 1.3.13 binary build...
Date Sun, 16 Jul 2000 14:33:09 GMT

Alphabetized for clarity:

> Apache Web Server
>      Documentation
>            Local

This one has a problem.  We need to request http://127.0.0.1/manual/
Click on the Frequently Asked Questions tab from this 1.3.13 test
install page to reassure yourself that we have no choice :)

>            Online
>      Management
>            Edit configuration
>            Restart Apache
>            Start Apache
>            Stop Apache

>      Startup
>            Schedule Apache to run at startup
>            Unschedule Apache to run at startup
>
> (This schedule/unschedule phrasing is the best I could came up with.
> Suggestions appreciated)

How about this as an option, since schedule not quite the word:

>      Service
>            Install Apache as a Service
>            Restart the Apache Service
>            Start the Apache Service
>            Stop the Apache Service
>            Uninstall the Service

Do these work for you?  I thought "Uninstall the Service" is a bit
clearer than "Uninstall Apache Service" (which are they uninstalling,
Apache, or the service?)

> > > "View Apache Server Error Log"
> > >   -> "Notepad.exe "@@ServerRoot@@"\logs\error.log"
> > >
> > > "View Apache Server Access Log"
> > >   -> "Notepad.exe "@@ServerRoot@@"\logs\access.log"
> > >
> > > Notepad is friendly, you can open the already open log file
> > > while the server is running (at least on NT 4... I'll check
> > > in with Win95.)  The QuickViewer will -not-, nor will WordPad
> > > (which sucks, since NotePad defers large log files to WordPad!)
> > > Damn... might as well find us a friggin text file viewer that
> > > drops the user on the last line of any already open file.
> > > command /k more <error.log would work, I suppose.  I give up,
> > > someone else offer an idea here :-|
> > >

> I have not included the view error logs, etc. options because
> of the notepad
> limitations outlined above. We need more ideas here.

I agree we need better options.  But for right -now-, since we would
like to see this ship, I suggest we wait for 2.0 to do the log file
viewer bit right, unless someone has a good suggestion.

> > > "Apache Web Server Documentation (on the Web)"
> > >   -> "http://www.apache.org/docs/index.html"
> > >
> > > "Apache Web Server Documentation (on this Server)"
> > >   -> "http://127.0.0.1/manual/index.html"
>
> The local documentation is filesystem based (it may be that
> user is having trouble starting the webserver :)

And they won't see the Frequently Asked Questions to solve their
problem.  That's why I proposed both, so if the server isn't running,
they aren't hurt (badly) by the link.

Other than that, it installs and uninstalls cleanly, and looks pretty
sharp!  Thanks for the preview/test :)  I broke 9x for the week, so
if someone else can test before I restore those compressed volumes,
it would be much appreciated.