httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Andrew Braund" <abraund_n...@mail.com>
Subject RE: [patch 1.3.13-dev] Win9x Services
Date Fri, 07 Jul 2000 08:52:12 GMT

1.3.13-dev testing on Win2000;

Summary; A couple of minor issues.

Details;
Compiled using CVS snapshot apache-1.3_20000706221200.tar.gz

Testing on Win 2000 5.00.2195;

  C:\ServerRoot>apache -v
  Server version: Apache/1.3.13-dev-apache-1.3_20000706221200.tar.gz (Win32)
  Server built:   Jul  7 2000 10:47:57
  Note the errors or messages above, and press the <ESC> key to exit.  26...
  C:\ServerRoot>

With no http.conf;
When run as shortcut on start menu (c:\serverroot\apache), a dos window pops
up with;
  [Fri Jul 07 11:52:07 2000] [warn] Registry does not contain key SOFTWARE\
  ApaGroup\Apache\1.3.13-dev-apache-1.3_20000706221200.tar.gz
  fopen: No such file or directory
  Apache.exe: could not open document config file /apache/conf/httpd.conf
  Note the errors or messages above, and press the <ESC> key to exit.  23...

and 30 seconds later the dos window disappears (also disappears if you hit
esc).

***************
Apache does not remove the PID file, so next time you try it gives the
unclean shutdown message;
***************

Followed the instructions in C:\apache-1.3\htdocs\manual\win_compiling.html

The documentation says;
copy ..\conf\*.conf-dist-win c:\ServerRoot\conf\*.conf
copy ..\conf\magic c:\ServerRoot\conf\
copy ..\conf\mime.types c:\ServerRoot\conf\
copy ..\htdocs\*.* c:\ServerRoot\htdocs\ /s

the last line is wrong, must use xcopy for recursive ie change to;
xcopy ..\htdocs\*.* c:\ServerRoot\htdocs\ /s

Edited http.conf as per documentation then ran apache;

  C:\ServerRoot>apache
  [Fri Jul 07 13:54:14 2000] [alert] apache: Missing ServerName directive,
assumed
  host name 127.0.0.1

  Apache/1.3.13-dev-apache-1.3_20000706221200.tar.gz (Win32) running...

edited http.conf to add;
ServerName 192.168.0.60

  C:\ServerRoot>apache
  Apache/1.3.13-dev-apache-1.3_20000706221200.tar.gz (Win32) running...

Now edited http.conf to add the modules I use;
mod_status.c, mod_info.c, mod_rewrite.c, mod_proxy.c enabled,
php-4.0.1pl2-Win32 PHP as external script processor.

apache
  left click in window now has no effect, ctrl+c always stops Apache,
  closing the window stops Apache cleanly.
  if you want to copy from the window then Menu Edit:Mark then Enter works

apache -i
  installs default Apache service
  Win2k dependencies tab in properties for  service
  does not show Apache to be dependent upon anything (even when started).
apache -k start
  runs console
apache -n apache -k start
  runs as service
apache -u
  stops and removes the service
apache -k stop
apache -i -n "apache web server"
apache -i -n "apache web server" -f "\myserver\conf\http.conf"
apache -u -n "apache web server"
apache -n "apache web server" -t
apache -n "apache web server" -T
apache -n "apache web server" -l
apache -n "apache web server"
apache -n "apache web server" -k start
apache -n "apache web server" -k restart
if there is an syntax error in the httpd.conf file, a restart will
give an appropriate error message and leave the existing server running.
eg;
  C:\ServerRoot>apache -n "apache web server" -k restart
  Syntax error on line 289 of c:/serverroot/conf/httpd.conf:
  Invalid command 'DocumentdRoot', perhaps mis-spelled or defined by a
module
  not included in the server configuration
  Note the errors or messages above, and press the <ESC> key to exit.  22...

If its just missing the host name you get a warning but the server
restarts OK eg;
  C:\ServerRoot>apache -n "apache web server" -k restart
  [Fri Jul 07 17:24:11 2000] [alert] apache: Missing ServerName directive,
  assumed host name 127.0.0.1

  The apache web server service is restarting.
  The apache web server service has restarted.

apache -n "apache web server" -k restart
  (when apache was stopped will start it)
apache -n "apache web server" -k shutdown
apache -n "apache web server" -k stop
NET START "apache web server"
NET STOP "apache web server"
start and stop from control panel service applet

All of the above worked correctly (served pages, status, info, PHP and
proxy).

WR wrote;
>Just added two last features.  One holds the console
>window open if Apache dies with an error.  The second
>logs every NT/2000 service error message to the Application
>Event Log.

In all the above testing nothing had been written to the event log.

I tried a bit harder...

Edited httpd.conf to introduce an error, then;
NET START "apache web server"
Application log got two entries;
  The Apache service named apachewebserver reported the following error:
  >>> Syntax error on line 266 of c:/serverroot/conf/httpd.conf: <<<
  before the error.log file could be opened.
  More information may be available in the error.log file.   .

  The Apache service named apachewebserver reported the following error:
  >>> Invalid command 'ServerAdXmin', perhaps mis-spelled or defined by a
  module not included in the server configuration <<<
  before the error.log file could be opened.
  More information may be available in the error.log file.  .

apache -n "apache web server" -k restart
does not give any event log entries, just messages on the console.

Regards
Andrew Braund