httpd-dev mailing list archives

Subject Re: summary: issues for my filtering patch
Date Wed, 28 Jun 2000 21:35:09 GMT

> > ANY module that wants or needs to modify a header MUST cache the entire
> > request until it knows that it is done modifying headers.  This means that
> > I believe mod_auth_digest will need to cache the entire request, because
> > it needs to modify a header to have the md5sum.  Any module that needs to
> > modify the content length needs to cache the entire request.
> Of course, this is only true assuming you can't really issue HTTP/1.1
> And if a filter happens to know up-front what its effect on
> content-length will be (like it will be inserting a header with a
> fixed size), it doesn't have to cache the request. (And if it simply
> decides it would rather just filter out the content-length so it
> doesn't have to cache the response, that seems perfectly valid.)
> I actually think (and hope) that the cases where a filter needs to
> act as a bottleneck on the response are few and far between.
> There's almost a danger in making it too easy to become a bottleneck.

It is easy enough to come up with examples of where a module isn't
going to become a bottleneck.  The fact is, anytime the entire request can
be sent as one string, no module will become a bottleneck.  The challenge
here, is to make it easy for modules to become the bottleneck.  Never
though I would say that.  :-)

There is danger is in making it too hard for modules to become a
bottleneck, because then the server doesn't respond correctly.  We need to
acheive some sort of balance.  This is where the real challenge lies.

Ryan Bloom
406 29th St.
San Francisco, CA 94131

View raw message