httpd-dev mailing list archives

From r..@covalent.net
Subject Re: Land a Man on the Moon
Date Mon, 26 Jun 2000 14:19:13 GMT

> > Who says yes? Who says no?
>
> I'm in *general* agreement, though personally I prefer something like this:
>
> . release a 2.0 "release candidate" at the beginning of AC2K-E
> . take every opportunity to evangelize the release candidate among
>   the attendees in hopes of getting a higher level of deployment than
>   achieved with the betas (hopefully on more production servers)
> . release 2.0 a month or so later
>
> Nothing can ever be perfect, but we might be able to squeeze a few
> more bugs out this way, lowering the risk of a bad rep for 2.0.  A bad
> rep can mean a big slowdown in deployment.

Set our goals high, and don't be afraid to fail at them.  Set the goal at
"releasing the official 2.0 at AC Europe", if we miss so what.  Apache
hasn't historically done release candidates.  Those are our betas.  As we
get close to actually releasing the code, we roll a tarball and just
release it.

Ryan

406 29th St.
San Francisco, CA 94131