httpd-dev mailing list archives

From r..@covalent.net
Subject Re: APR_EOF?
Date Thu, 22 Jun 2000 18:10:49 GMT

> > Windows files are not the same as Windows sockets.  Ditto for OS/2 and
> > BeOS.  Because Unix is the only platform that has files and sockets that
> > are equivalent, it is not possible to combine the two types or any
> > functions that have to deal with the two types.  Not possible is a bit
> > strong, obviously it is possible, however it removes type checking at
> > compile time, and is generally a bad idea.  This was all covered way back
> > when, when APR was first designed and implemented.
>
> This would be handled by Bill's os_read_with_timeout(), which knows
> whether it is a pipe or file or socket and thus can use the correct
> syscall.

How does it know?  Are we passing a void * in?  Are we combining the two
types?  I sure hope we aren't even thinking about combining sockets and
files in APR.  If we don't combine them, then this can't be
done.  os_read_with_timeout can help us merge the ap_read code for unix
and windows, but it can't help us merge files and sockets.

Ryan

406 29th St.
San Francisco, CA 94131