httpd-dev mailing list archives

From r..@covalent.net
Subject Re: Protcol modules and virtual hosting
Date Tue, 20 Jun 2000 19:39:29 GMT

I do not believe that Apache 2.0 currently allows different protocol
modules on different virtual hosts.  Nobody has really tried this, so it
hasn't been implemented.  :-)

Ryan

On Tue, 20 Jun 2000 DavidABryan@netscape.net wrote:

> As mentioned in a previous email, I have written a module to speak a different protocol
than HTTP based on the Apache 2.0 echo module. Following a suggestion from the list, I am
trying to listen on a different port for my protocol than HTTP, and want to do this with port-based
virtual hosting. Like the echo module, I didn't define a merge_server_config(), which from
what I read should cause the VirtualHost arguments to win out. I couldn't get it to work properly
(it ignored my turning the module "on" if it was in the virtualserver block), so I went back
to the stock 2.0a4 code and the echo module and hit the same problem. I saw a few bug reports
about VirtualHost problems, but none seem quite the same -- I'm not sure if I am doing something
wrong in my config file (quite possible) or if this is a real problem. The server config I
tried is:

> User webuser
> Group webgroup
> Listen 127.0.0.1:5100
> Listen 127.0.0.1:80
> LockFile /var/run/apache-lock
> ScriptAlias /cgi-bin /usr/scratch/apache/www/cgi-bin
> DocumentRoot /usr/scratch/apache/www/htdocs/
>

> <VirtualHost 127.0.0.1:5100>
> ErrorLog /usr/scratch/apache/www/logs/error_log2
> TransferLog /usr/scratch/apache/www/logs/trans_log2
> ProtocolEcho yes
> </VirtualHost>
>
> If I move the line "ProtocolEcho yes" out of the VirtualHost block then both ports have
echo, in the block, neither does.

> Thanks!
>
> David Bryan

> Get your own FREE, personal Netscape Webmail account today at http://home.netscape.com/webmail/