httpd-dev mailing list archives

From dean gaudet <dgaudet-list-new-ht...@arctic.org>
Subject Re: Debugging pools
Date Sat, 17 Jun 2000 20:43:56 GMT

On Thu, 15 Jun 2000, Manoj Kasichainula wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 15, 2000 at 12:02:42AM +0000, David Reid wrote:
> > As I have a problem with memory I thought the pool and alloc debugger
> > might help.  So off I toddled to the lib directory in APR and tried to
> > turn it on.  Guess what, it didn't work. Anyway a quick hacka round
> > produces this diff which build cleanly for me.
>
> IIRC, POOL_DEBUG doesn't work in a threaded process. I think the
> problem is that it's not threadsafe, but I don't remember specifics.

ap_find_pool() takes an arbitrary pointer and tries to figure out what
pool it belongs to.  the code currently understands a single-threaded unix
process memory layout, and that's about it.

truth is though, that the stack fooness that is performed is just an
optimisation -- to avoid searching the global block list.

in a threaded server the global block list would need mutexes and such.

-dean