httpd-dev mailing list archives

From r..@covalent.net
Subject Re: Filter I/O take 3.
Date Sat, 17 Jun 2000 02:49:43 GMT

> At the moment, Apache is a "push" model, from the original content source,
> down to the network layer. That is pretty ingrained into Apache's
> architecture. I presume for an async I/O approach, you would need to flip
> this around where the network layer says "I'm ready for more" and "pulls"
> content. Is my read on the situation correct?
>
> If so, then I will venture a guess that we aren't going to be able to get
> Apache to an async model because of that ingrained "push" model.

I agree.  Apache 2.0 is not going to be async, and it doesn't need to
support it.  3.0 may be async.  It will require almost a complete re-write
if that is going to happen.  Take a look at the STATUS file, a re-org for
async is actually in there for post-2.0.  I do not want 2.0 to become a
kitchen sink again.  Adding async I/O to 2.0 is a bad idea and I will
fight it.

Ryan

406 29th St.
San Francisco, CA 94131