httpd-dev mailing list archives

From dean gaudet <dgaudet-list-new-ht...@arctic.org>
Subject Re: Buffered file I/O & thread safety
Date Mon, 12 Jun 2000 11:24:21 GMT
On Sun, 11 Jun 2000 rbb@covalent.net wrote:

> No, this is a flag that will need to be set on the open call.  The open
> basically does nothing but checking flags.  I dislike thoroughly having
> multiple versions of the same functions just to not have mutex locking.

i dislike having tonnes of flag checking.  i don't see the point in
supporting mutexes.

it's really unfortunate, for example, that logging is going to require a
userland mutex... when on unix an O_APPEND file has atomicity provided by
the kerenl already... so any userland locks are merely Yet More cache-line
activity which isn't required.  (i don't know about other operating
systems, but i'd be surprised if unix is alone with this feature.)

this is one of those areas where i think that APR is too much, and isn't
the minimum it could be.

i've said before there's a reason for having both open/read/write/close
and having fopen/fread/fwrite/fclose.

-dean