httpd-dev mailing list archives

From r..@covalent.net
Subject RE: Source code document?
Date Fri, 09 Jun 2000 14:39:24 GMT

> > The source code and high level description of the source code
> > for Apache 1.3.6 has been published in the book called
> > "Apache Server Commentary" published by Coroilis publishing
>
> Would you recommend this for someone trying to get to grips with 2.x, or is
> the codebase too different?

The code between 1.3 and 2.0 is very different in most cases.  The
protocol handling is pretty much the same, but everything else has
completely changed.  I do not recommend trying to learn 1.3 from this
book.

> Any other suggestions from anyone? I'm at the requirements stage of a port
> to our internal POSIX runtime environment, and I'd appreciate any advice you
> guys have! :)

The only real way to learn Apache is by reading the code.  This is
especially true for 2.0, because nobody has really gone through and
documented all of the changes.  This stuff is getting documented slowly,
but that effort has just started, and it will take some time to finish.

If you are porting 2.0, just look at APR.  APR is probably the portion of
2.0 that is documented the best.  It should be a simple matter for you to
port APR and let that take care of everything.

Ryan

406 29th St.
San Francisco, CA 94131